Dmitry Selyuk: Ferencváros has an emotional president, but will let Cherchesov finish the season
Football agent Dmitry Selyukwho knows the pitfalls of European football well, comments on this situation.
– I think that Cherchesov showed the maximum result in this European Cup season with such a team, – says Selyuk. – True, they were not without luck: they got Monaco in the group, and for the Monegasques the main tournament is the French championship, where they are fighting for a ticket to the Champions League. But I don’t want to belittle Cherchesov’s achievements, reaching the round of 16 of the Europa League is a great result for Ferencváros.
– “Bayer” was unrealistic to pass?
– I think so. The team is better equipped, the players are of a higher class, well, the level of the Bundesliga is not comparable to the level of the Hungarian league.
– Now a question for you, who know the pitfalls of European club football. It is known that Ferencváros has a very, shall we say, impulsive president, Gabor Kubatov. Ferencváros have been knocked out of the Europa League and lead the Hungarian league, but after New Year’s Eve the team’s results leave much to be desired. Can Kubatov make an emotional decision and fire Cherchesov now?
– Everyone knows who the president of Ferencváros is. At the moment he fired Sergei Rebrov, which made Ferencváros not only a champion, but also led the team to the group stage of the Champions League for the first time. And he brought huge money for Hungarian football to the club’s budget.
As for your question, you can’t look into Kubatov’s head, but I still think and hope that he will not make such a decision. I hope, because we all follow Salamych and wish him every success in Europe.
– Why doesn’t he accept?
– There is now a big break for national team matches, the passions for relegation from the Europa League will subside a bit. And there will be a month and a half until the end of the season. Ferencváros’ gap from their pursuers is 11 points, I don’t think Cherchesov will miss first place. But whether Kubatov will allow Cherchesov to start a new European campaign in the fall is another matter.